- How Long Should You Take Ballet Before Starting Pointe?
Most dancers live for the day they are finally allowed to dance en pointe! Dancing en pointe requires a student to meet certain milestones before they can begin, and one of those is having enough ballet training.
Dancers should study ballet for at least three years before beginning pointe. Those three years should be consistent, focused ballet training. But the length of study is not the only requirement for dancing on pointe.
- The Ultimate Alphabetical Guide to Different Dance Types, Classes & Styles!
So what is the difference between lyrical and contemporary dance or hip hop break dancing and krumping? The Dance Parent 101 team has you covered with simple explanations of every dance style you might come across.
- Do You Need To Wear Ballet Shoes in a Ballet Class?
Have you ever seen a soccer player wearing basketball shoes? Or a football player wearing ice skates? Probably not! In the dance world, dancers are expected to wear the kind of shoes that correspond to the style of dance they’re taking. You do need to wear ballet shoes to ballet class most of the time. Occasionally, there are instances where other footwear is acceptable, but the best shoes to wear for ballet are ballet shoes!
Ballet shoes have unique qualities that make them appropriate for ballet class, just like jazz shoes have specific functions for that style of dance. For more about jazz shoes and why they’re necessary for learning jazz dance, check out our article Can I Wear Ballet Shoes in a Jazz Dance Class?
- How Long Do Dance Shoes Last? Best Advice for Parents!
So you’ve signed your child up for a year of dance classes! One of the first things you’ll need to do is purchase dance shoes. Just like when purchasing school shoes, you’re probably hoping to get the most bang for your buck when you buy shoes for dance lessons. But how long can you expect your child’s dance shoes to last?
- Why You Should Never Wear Your Ballet Shoes Outside!
Ballet shoes might look like the ideal comfort shoes – they’re sometimes called “slippers” for a reason! So it’s no wonder people want to wear them for more than just ballet class, including outside and on the street. But unfortunately, wearing ballet shoes outside is a big no-no.
- Why tutus are used and worn in Ballet? The Fun Facts!
When you think of ballet, the first thing that probably comes to mind is a ballerina in a pink tutu. Tutus are an integral part of ballet attire but why do ballerinas wear them and who even thought of making one?
- Socks or Tights in Ballet Shoes? Best Advice for Parents!
Ballet shoes are a necessary part of any ballet dancer’s wardrobe. They protect the feet and allow for the proper movements when dancing. However, one common question that arises is whether or not it is acceptable to wear socks with ballet shoes.
- Paying More For Dance Classes Compared To Others? We Explain Why!
Have you recently been talking to a friend who attends a different dance studio only to find out they pay half of what you do for their child’s dance or ballet lessons compared to you? Has this made you start wondering why you are paying more? Or perhaps you are paying less and want to know if you are missing out on anything!
- Can you wear a swimsuit to ballet class? Dancer Explains!
If Summer is just around the corner it means temperatures are on the rise and you are probably looking at cute new bathing suits to wear to the pools or beach. Now if you are a ballerina or dance student, you may be thinking the designs are so pretty that they would look good in class – but is it ok to wear a swimsuit to ballet class?
- How much does it cost to become a professional ballerina or dancer?
When most people think of ballerinas, they think of the beautiful images of women in tights and tutus gracefully spinning and leaping across a stage. What you may not know is that becoming a professional ballerina takes years of hard work and dedication – and it can be quite costly, too.
- Dance Lesson Enrollment Fees – Why you need to pay them!
Do you have a child that takes dance classes or is about to? If so, did you know that there is an enrollment fee to pay at the beginning of each dance year? But why do we have to pay these fees? What do they go towards?
- THE TRUTH ABOUT WHY DANCE LESSONS COST SO MUCH!
If you’ve ever wondered why dance lessons are so expensive, you’re not alone! Many people receive their dance studio invoices and gasp – I know I have! Which is why I thought it was a good idea to find out where all my money was going.
- Important Questions to Ask Your New Dance or Ballet School!
Are you considering enrolling your child in a dance or ballet school? If so, it’s important to ask the right questions! This blog post will outline some of the most important questions to ask.
- 18 Things You Should Look Out For in A Dance or Ballet Studio!
Looking for a place to enroll your child in dance or ballet? Wanting a dance school that provides a safe, positive environment to learn and grow in but not sure what to actually look for to find that? How about a school that supports parents and is drama free?
- How to Search For & Find a Dance or Ballet School?
Are you a mom or parent looking for a dance school or studio for your child? There are so many options out there, how do you know which one is the right fit? Today we’re going to share some tips on how to search for and find the perfect dance school or studio for your child. Happy dancing! 🙂
- What you Need to Know About Attending Dance & Ballet Recitals
Are you attending a dance or ballet recital to watch your niece or nephew perform or maybe your friend’s kids or your cousin’s kids dance and you are not quite sure what is expected of you?
- 6 Things You Should Never Wear to a Dance or Ballet Recital
Are you attending a dance or ballet recital and are not sure what you should wear? Well sometimes to know what to wear, you need to know what Not to wear!
- What To Do If Your Dancer is Always in the Back Row?
If your dancer is being given a back row spot in their dance routines, first, consider their ability to remember choreography. Then, think about their performance quality and showmanship. Finally, determine if your dancer lacks confidence in herself.
- Is The Back Row Bad? A Dance Teacher’s Perspective On Stage Placement
Dancing in a group means that sometimes you won’t always be in the front. It’s just the nature of group activities! But, what does it mean if your dancer is consistently placed in the back row? How do teachers choose who to place where on stage? Is being in the back row in a dance routine bad?
- 11 Helpful Back To Dance Tips from A Seasoned Dance Mom
Sometimes, we just need a break from dance. Parents and dancers alike. Whatever the reason, be it circumstantial, physical, emotional, or even financial a break is almost inevitable at some point in a dancer’s journey.
- What to Expect at Your Dance Studio Competition Team Audition?
Many dance schools offer their students the chance to participate in dance competitions. But a requirement at most studios to be on the dance competition or company team is to attend a tryout or audition for team selection.
- How to Prepare for Your Dance Studio Competition Team Audition?
Today many dance studios attend dance competitions either locally, by traveling around their state, or even nationally. To become a competitive dancer, dance teachers and studio owners generally invite hardworking students to audition to become a member of their studio competition team….
- The Pros and Cons of Taking Dance or Ballet at Two or More Studios
The benefits of dancing for multiple studios includes the exposure to different dance genres, types of instruction, and teaching styles which can strengthen dance skills. However many dancers will not be able to experience learning at multiple studios because of contractual obligations.
- How Dance Competitions are Judged & Scored? What Parents Want To Know!
If you’ve ever wondered about how dance competitions are judged, look no further! As a veteran judge of ten years for competitions all over the United States and Canada, I’m here to answer all of your burning questions about how dancers are adjudicated and scored at dance competitions.
- The Real Costs Of Competitive Dance – A Parent’s Run Down
Dance competitions are fun, exciting, and yes, expensive. As a seasoned dance mom, the thrill and pure joy of watching my dancer perform on stage, has always brought tears to my eyes. For me, it has been worth every penny. However, in hindsight, I wish I had known more about the costs involved.
- 10 Reasons to Leave a Dance or Ballet Studio
There are times when you may need to consider leaving a dance or ballet studio including when there are changes in management, few class options, poor organization, lack of progress, and drama. Leaving a dance studio is never an easy decision but it is important to make sure that the studio is a good fit for your dancer.
- What are Demi Pointe Shoes and do you really need them for Ballet?
In the ballet world, nothing is more desirable than getting your first pair of real pointe shoes. But, young dancers must work their way up to dancing en pointe, strengthening their muscles and preparing their bodies for pointe work which is where demi pointe shoes come in.
- Parents Guide to choosing the Best Shoes For Ballet Class
The best shoes for ballet class have a snug fit, and are made of leather or canvas. Depending on the dancer’s age and level, you will choose between full sole or split-sole flat ballet shoes. Do not buy synthetic or pretty sateen ballet slippers or pointe shoes.
- Ultimate Guide To Choosing The Right Shoes For Dance Lessons!
There are four main things you need to look for when choosing the right shoes for dance lessons. These are the shoes’ function or purpose, how the shoes fit, the quality of materials used, and how well they have been constructed.
- Best Guide to the different types of Hip-Hop Dance?
The 3 original and most well-known styles of Hip Hop Dance are Breaking, Popping, and Locking. Within these types are different forms of dance such as TopRock, Footwork or DownRock, Freezes and Power Moves. You also have the Hip Hop Party Dance genre which is where a lot of the more popular commercial hip hop moves are derived from today!
- WHAT IS ACROBATIC DANCE AND IS IT SAFE? – A GUIDE FOR PARENTS
Acrobatic Dance or Acro Dance is a style of dance that combines nearly any style of dance, but usually lyrical, contemporary, or jazz with acrobatic skills and tricks. It is safe when skills are taught incrementally and with an Acrobatic Teacher certified in safe training practices.
- Why Protein is So Important for your Dancer’s Health
Protein is without a doubt a highly discussed nutrient for dancers’ health. There have been many debates and myths surrounding this nutrient, so in this article, our goal will be …
- Popular Turn Boards: Worth It & Safe? Dance Teacher Explains!
Some of the hottest new dance and ballet products out there are geared towards pirouettes – spin spots, turn boards, and turn discs all claim to help dancers execute their turns faster, cleaner, and in greater numbers! But, is all the hype worth it?
- What age is too late to start dancing?
There are many of us who have grown up dreaming of becoming a dancer only to have those dreams thwarted by finances, distance, or our adults just not understanding the …
- Why Dancing is Beneficial for Kids | What Parents Need to Know
Dance classes are opportunities for fun, friends, and exercise, but the benefits of studying dance go much further. Dance, as an art form, comes with the benefits of studying art …
- How to Prepare Your Dancer for a Smooth Return to Ballet & Dance Class
After taking some time off from dance or ballet class, your dancer is ready to return to the studio. Whether they’ve taken a break to recover from an injury, spend …
- Should you Enroll your Child in Online Virtual Dance Lessons?
Has your dance school closed and is now only offering online dance classes? Or are they open but offering a virtual option for those wanting an alternative to in-person lessons? …
- The Elements of Dance: Energy, Dynamics, Time, Space – A Guide for Parents.
Dance can be intimidating for beginners which is why I put together this guide to the elements of dance. Whether you’re a beginner or a parent, these are useful concepts …
- 14 things you can use instead of a ballet barre?
When doing ballet or dance away from the studio, the dancer is often left with the conundrum of what they are going to use as a substitute barre. And with …
- What Every Tap Dancer Needs! Plus 30 gift ideas for what they want!
Looking for the perfect gift for a tap dancer? Well, being the action taker that you are, you have come to the right place!!! I love tap dancing! In fact, …
- Tall dancers vs. Short dancers: What’s the height debate about?
In dancing is it better to be taller or shorter or in-between? My eldest daughter could be 5″9 and so I am really curious in getting some answers to this question! In this post, I take a look into the history behind how the height of a dancer even became an issue and the situation regarding it in dance today.
- How to Motivate a Young Dancer to Not Quit in Just 3 Steps!
It’s thirty minutes before your kid’s dance class and you need to leave in ten to get there on time but your child isn’t even dressed yet and when you …
- 10 Things Every Dancer Needs! Plus 70 More Unique Gift Ideas!
Do you need to buy a present for a dancer or are you struggling to find the perfect gift for your little ballerina? You would think that a dancer would …
- Why do young dancers wear makeup?
Although used for a purpose, when children wear stage make up controversy is often sparked. Many parents feel that their children grow up soon enough and that wearing makeup of …
- Can girls wear a pad to dance class?
Even though it happens once a month, the topic of menstruation is a little taboo and makes some people cringe. This three to five day period every month can cause …
- Do Boys Wear Leotards? And what is a Dance belt?
If girls wear leotards to dance and ballet class what do boys wear? Do they wear leotards too? Yes, boys do wear leotards but they wear them under shorts, leggings, …
- Should You Put Your Son in Dance Class?
My 1yr old son loves to dance. He faces the music source, plants his feet into the ground, clucks his arms like a chicken whilst twirling his hands and bounces …
- Cheerleading vs Dancing: What’s the Difference?
Many dancers aspire to be professional cheerleaders helping to excite and encourage spectators to actively support their home team by leading them in chants and cheers. But if a dancer …
- Common Dance & Ballet Injuries: Causes, Prevention & Rehab Guide
As a dancer or parent of a dancer being armed with knowledge about the most common injuries dancers are most susceptible to, is the first step to prevention, quicker recovery, …
- How to Dance with Long Arms or Long Legs – Tips and Tricks!
Not all dancers are built exactly alike. There is no perfect dance body although being proportioned does help. But what about those dancers without body congruity? For example, those dancers …
- How to Convince Your Parents to Let You Do Dance Lessons
When I was younger I wanted to study dance full time. When I first told my parent’s my dream, their initial reaction was ‘well we are not paying for that‘. …
- Gymnastics vs. Dance: Which is Better for Kids?
Gymnastics and dance are both great extra-curricular activities for kids. As a parent though you might be confused over which one you should choose for your child. Both will help …
- Can You Learn to Dance Online? [Classical Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop and more]
Dance is a skill many believe can only be taught by a professional. With technology as advanced as it has become, there are no set rules as to where or …
- Dance & Ballet Social Media Influencers you should be following!
Want to see inspiring dance and ballet images as you scroll Instagram? Like to have beautiful dance or ballet photos, ideas and hacks showing up in your Pinterest feed but …
- How much do dance classes cost? We compare 50+ schools across the US! UPDATED 2022!
Are you thinking about signing your child up for dance classes, but aren’t sure how much they cost? You’re in luck! In this post, we’ll break down the average prices of dance classes across the country. It can be hard to find accurate information on this topic!
- What is the best age to start dancing? – Real Answers for Parents!
With the proliferation of dance on tv through shows such as World of Dance, Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance many people are interested in knowing just what age is best to start dancing especially if they feel they have missed the boat or want their child to have the best chance of succeeding.
- What Percent of Dancers Become Professional?
There are a lot of people out there who do some sort of dance training, but how many of those people succeed in becoming professional dancers?
- How Much Do Dancers and Ballerinas Make? Salary/ Earnings Guide
Dancing is one of the few industries where it seems the norm to say yes to the job before learning what you will be paid. So how do dancers know if they are getting paid enough? How much do dancers make or earn?
- How Many Dance or Ballet Lessons (Age & Class Guide)
Ballerinas and dancers train for many years to master their craft. But how many ballet classes or lessons should your child be taking to become a professional dancer or ballerina? Although just a guide, the following tables give you some specific numbers, hours and class types that you can use to help you work out what is best for your child!
- 14 Things You Can Do To Help Your Child Be a Better Dancer Today!
A question dance teacher’s regularly hear from parents is ‘how can I help my child become a better dancer?’ The following is a list of fourteen top tips that are realistic and doable even for the busiest dance parent!
- The Best Style of Dance Kids Should Learn!
There are so many different styles of dance out there it can be hard and confusing for any parent to choose which class to start their child in. Which Dance …
- How many years of dance or ballet does it take to be a professional?
Ballerinas and dancers train for many years to master their craft. So how many years of training might it take your child to become a professional dancer or ballerina? On …
- Teen’s & dance school underwear rules under dance leotards & costumes
I recently read a Ballet Forum where a mother posed the question regarding how normal and realistic it was of her dance teacher to request all students refrain from wearing underwear under their dance class leotards and recital and competition costumes. Her daughter had just started…
- Should my kid wear underpants, under their dance leotards and costumes?
Is your child being asked to not wear underpants under their leotard or recital costume and you are not sure whether this is standard practice? Keep Reading to get answers!
- How to Choose the Best Dance School For Your Child: Guide For New Dance Parents
Choosing a dance school for your child can be a daunting task. There are so many different schools to choose from, and how do you know which one is the right one for your child?