Are you considering enrolling your child in a dance or ballet school? If so, it’s important to ask the right questions! This blog post will outline some of the most important questions to ask.
By going through the selection and choosing the most important questions to you, asking them will help you determine whether or not the school is a good fit for your child.
So what are you waiting for? Start asking away!
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SCHOOL
- What is the number One focus of your school? for example, is it preparing students for competitions or exams, fun, and expression of movement, technique, and preparation for professional careers?
- Which dance styles are available at your school?
- Do you follow a recognized syllabus/curriculum or method of teaching dance?
- Do you allow your students to participate in dance classes at other schools or for holiday programs, special workshops, or performances?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FIT OF THE SCHOOL WITH YOUR FAMILY AND CHILD
- Which class/lessons do you think would be the best fit for my child?
- How do you track the progress of my child?
- How large is the class my child will be in? How many students do you allow per teacher?
- What happens if my child is injured or sick for an extended amount of time?
- How should my child dress?
- How is information communicated to parents? Through email, announcements after lessons, through social media?
- What are the performance opportunities for my child? (Exams, concerts, competitions)
- Am I expected to make the costumes for the concert or recital or do we hire or buy these? What costs will I expect for this
- Are parents and/or family and friends allowed to watch classes
- Am I required to wait on the premises whilst my child is in class?
- What is your policy on contacting me if an emergency happens during the class and I am not here?
- Are we required to participate in fundraising activities for the studio?
- What is your photography policy?
- What is your social media policy?
- Can I take photos of my child in class or in the concert or recital or open lesson? Are others allowed to take photo’s my child?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE LOGISTICS
- What times are the classes you have on offer?
- Do you have a calendar for the upcoming year with concert/recital, exam, or major competition date available?
- What facilities do you offer? Sprung floors, Mirrored walls, Change rooms, waiting room?
- Where is the best parking, coffee shop, playground, or shopping center close to the studio for things to do while you wait?
- Do classes go through school holidays or are there term breaks?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COSTS
- What is your fee structure?
- Is there a registration fee?
- Do I still pay if my child is sick or we go away?
- Do you do makeup lessons?
- How are fees paid? In advance, weekly, monthly, for the full term or season?
- Do you take cash or credit?
- Is there a uniform and if so what are the costs involved with this?
- What other special equipment might I need to purchase such as shoes?
- What are the costs involved for costuming?
- What is a recital package?
- Will my child be involved in competitions and exams and what are the costs for these?
- What other special equipment might I need to purchase for competitions and exams?
- How much are tickets for the recital?
- Does the school have public liability insurance?
- Are your teaching staff covered by professional indemnity insurance?
- Do you have public liability insurance and how does this cover me and my child?
- Does the school follow any regulations or OHS such as Safe Dance® procedures?
- Do your teachers do further learning and training?
- Can you tell me about any recent development courses or activities you or your staff have participated in?
So you’ve found the perfect dance or ballet school, but don’t stop there! Ask these important questions to make sure your child gets the most out of their dance education.
You never know, the answers might just surprise you.
What are some other questions that you would add to this list? Contact us at Dance Parent to let us know!
And good luck on your search for the perfect dance school!